Friday 2 November 2007

"Why Buddha has long ears"- In the words of a little boy



Recently, I happened to be around a little boy of about seven and his dad (?) as they were looking at some idols of Buddha. They sounded English but I cant be too sure. Anyway, the kid tugged at his father's shirt sleeve and said

"Dad, you know why he has long ears?"


That was the point at which I started to eavesdrop intently.

The following conversation ensued.

Dad: "Why is that son?"

Kid: "He used to be a prince before he became Lord Buddha. At that time, because he was rich he would wear really long earrings which were heavy and caused his ears to become long. Then when he left all the money and stuff, his ears still remained long. The long empty ears are a to remind us of what he gave up"


I couldn't help but smile, and raised my eyebrows appreciatively at them. The adult started laughing as the kid hid behind him. I happened to be wearing long silver earrings that day, so he pointed to my ears and asked, "Trying to do the same thing?"

So I just grinned, shrugged and said, "Well, not really. But who knows! Give me a few more years and perhaps I'll get there!"