Wednesday 20 February 2008

Complaints- Part One

Being a fan of el futbol, one has to deal with the difficulties of not living in a football loving country that shows twenty sports channels covering all the matches being played on a given night.

UEFA Champions league resumed last night- Knock Out round.

And, first thing I did in the morning, was to open the newspaper early in the morning with trepidation, only to find my worst fears confirmed.

The Real Madrid Vs. AS Roma game was being telecast on Zee Sports.

Problem? I don't get Zee Sports!

I get Zee Studio, Zee Cafe, Zee Cinema, Zee TV, and Zee Music but no Zee Sports.

So I was generally complaining to TQ about how pitiable my condition was etc. and had just finished a dramatic monologue along the lines of "Oh its not like I am asking for too much! Zee sports is an Indian channel! Its not like I want to watch Sky Sports 1 and 2! Its not like I am making demands for Real Madrid's 24X7 channel, which btw shows in NEPAL but not in India!..."
When I was interrupted by her question-
"What would you give in order to be able to watch Real Madrid 24X7?"

My answer-
"Uhhh...like 100 bucks a month?"

Her expression was priceless! Given my anguished outburst a few moments ago, she said she expected me to say something like "My right arm"

But the truth is, as much as I love football and Real Madrid, there aren't very many things I would give up my right arm for.

She then asked me to name ONE thing I would give up my right arm for.

I grinned and said there was one thing-
I would give up my right arm if someone would assure me that the world would change to fit my Utopian ideal- no need to work to earn your bread, no attachments, no relationships, lots of passion, liberty, freedom to just 'be' without having to be someone or some thing, world where marriages aren't 'something to be done', a world where having babies isn't 'something to be done'...

You get the drift.

Couldn't come up with any other thing worth my right arm.

P.S. I was complaining to a psychoanalyst and to TQ about how the greatest tragedy was that you had to earn your bread and butter. Because most admissions that tell you interesting things about a person start with "If I didn't have to work to earn my bread and butter..."

Why?! Why do we have to work to earn bread and butter! I don't even like bread that much! Sob Sob

P.P.S- I read the minute by minute commentary on uefa.com. Real Madrid lost yesterday. 2-1. I blame it on my being unable to watch the match. Sports is the only thing I get superstitious about.