Tuesday 11 September 2007

The narcissism of man

TQ: actually my drift was more like how we ascribe divinity to calcium formations


Holy Cow: ? my religiously, and divinely handicapped mind cannot understand what you just said ! :-?


TQ: there are no idols in vaishno devi.. just 3 stalactites in the cave called 'pindis'
so i was just talking about how there is so much faith and religiosity etc attached to calcium formations


Holy Cow: ah okay


TQ: well.. if it can be clay idols, it can be anything
anyway..


Holy Cow: of course
in fact
the tites and mites are actually better!


TQ: how?


Holy Cow: at least they are not made by man.
I am reminded of some surah of the Quran
which says something to the effect of
ye pray to that which ye hath created*
I like that a lot :)


TQ: oh nice :)


*I do feel like I have read these very words, but there may be a memory lapse here causing a distortion in language. What it says is - Those unto whom they cry beside Allah, created naught, but are themselves created (Surah XVI, 20- Translation by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall)


But I like mine! Since it represents a very arrogant picture of man worshipping something that he himself has made, without referring to the supreme being by a particular name.