Friday 28 September 2007

Will the vulgarity never end?

It's getting out of hand I tell you! Even if I come to terms with the insane amount of affection and love being showered on Dhoni & Co. these days, I will never be at peace with the benefits they are getting (monetary and non monetary) because of this T-20 win. It is just vulgar if you ask me. Everyone has lost their marbles and are in such a frenzy to give that they can't stop- Like going downhill in a car, and not being able to hit the brakes. Apart from the hikes in their contracts, each player seems to be getting rewarded amounts ranging from Rs. 3 Lakh - 21 Lakh by their respective State governments* (!!!) And, what's with the free air travel for five years??? I know a hundred people who are more deserving of that but cannot afford it! (Of course, I am including myself as well. It's called "Beheti Ganga mein haath dhona" - If the holy water is flowing anyway, I may as well dip my hands into it)


Now celebrity-hood is something in which irony reveals itself rather splendidly. Once you have enough money to pay for a few luxuries, you get those luxuries free of charge! I am against this on principle. It just isn't fair at all. And makes no sense.


Now I know and you know that the government can definitely make better use of all this money. I applaud the Supreme Court for its recent comment directed towards the government when the former noted a decline of 30% in the centralisation of elementary education for kids over the years, while considering the finances required to make adjustments to make room demanded by the reservation law - "What is more important? Elementary education for children or quota system?"



*This is hilarious. Robin Utthappa is getting 5 Lakh from Karnataka Government, and 3 Lakh from Kerala government because ....his mother was born in Kozhikode!!! Why don't we just trace the entire lineage and find several other states that apparently have all this money to spare? Surely grandparents are also important aren't they?